Friday 12 April 2013

Conclusion

I began building my influences by studying the different types of genres and evaluating their sufficiency for my group. By researching examples of each genre within the film industry and looking at definitions on the internet of each genre I developed a greater understanding of the type of opening title sequence they would require. This research enabled me to then evaluate which one would be most suitable for my group and to help me do this I created a mood board and spider diagram looking at the codes and conventions for each genre. I learnt that the budget and the editing software available to us would be the largest reasons for me to decide which one was acceptable for my group. Once I had spoken to my group and we decided to do a romantic drama I created genre specific mood boards. This aided me in thinking about what lighting we should use, the types of costumes and the types of people we should cast for each role for our opening title sequence. I then did further research looking at existing opening title sequences of three films with the same genre as us. From this I learned that the film industry use a specific colour theme, font and narrative to show the genre of their film and knowing examples of how to do this, it will now be easier for me to help my group to do this when creating our own opening title sequence. In addition, I studied the common representations of our genre by the media to gain a greater understanding of how to use colour to indicate the type of film and attract your target audience. For example, because my group is making a romantic drama we should use a contrast of dark lighting to show connotations of a drama and also light pinks and reds to portray love and romance. I also learnt that the types of people you have in your opening sequence generally will attract an audience with the same age, interests and style so when my group comes to creating the characters for our film and casting we will need to know exactly who we want to play each role. I then decided to carry out a questionnaire to help me understand who is likely to be attracted to our film and therefore how we can target our film at these people. I found out that most people were interested in the scenario whereby a hostage falls in love with their captor and due to the fact that the most people who responded to our survey were 15 - 18 it is likely that this is the age range we target our film at if we choose this scenario. Also, because there was roughly an even amount of men and women who answered the survey, we should aim to style our film to attract both genders.

No comments:

Post a Comment